Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sometimes you can't trust people ...

I guess you can file this under, "I saw this coming."

As of this morning, of the four choices in building your collection, no one voted to use the official offline boards. However earlier this week, I did my due diligence and paid them a visit anyway. Once I was over there, I thought I had found a great deal -- someone selling playsets of commons for reasonable prices.

I e-mailed them per their request, and I agreed to buy six full common playsets for 20 tickets. I tried to catch the person online, but they weren't available. I sent a second e-mail, which went unanswered. I should have been wary then -- but I spent the majority of Friday online in MTGO waiting for them to logon.

I checked his board thread this morning, and he said all the sets were gone -- I was lucky I had already sent my e-mail earlier this week -- right?

This morning, I jumped on MTGO and he was logged on into the client -- but surprise, all the sets had been sold -- even the ones he had agreed to sell to me. The story I was told was that supposedly one person had bought 40 of the sets. Sigh, so either I'd been lied to -- or he was impatient, but the end result is likely someone else is simply going to put the sets up on eBay or such just for profit.

I'm going to have to do a bit of research, but I can tell you any entity related to the 'BezelShop' account, Rozbity_Bezel boards account or Hubert Multana is not to be trusted at their word.

Here's this morning's conversation in MTGO:

9:18 AM ThriftyDjinn: Hey!
9:18 AM BezelShop: hi
9:19 AM ThriftyDjinn: You sold all the sets?
9:19 AM BezelShop: yeah, sorry but i couldnt catch
9:19 AM BezelShop: catch u
9:20 AM ThriftyDjinn: Sigh, I was online almost all day yesterday waiting for you to logon
9:20 AM BezelShop: i was only 2-3 hours on-line
9:21 AM BezelShop: and then one guy took 40 sets
9:21 AM ThriftyDjinn: But I e-mailed you like you ased and we had a deal, or so I thought
9:21 AM ThriftyDjinn: asked
BezelShop has left the conversation.

So, at the end of the day -- what did I learn from this? Well, I learned that you can get some really good deals by checking out the official online boards -- but it's definitely a Caveat Emptor environment.

BTW, I let 'BezelShop' know that I posted here and also back on his thread on the official boards -- it will be interesting to see if there's any response. You just have to love a good opportunity for weekend drama, right?

For me though, it means I'm back to the client to find some better trading partners -- and I actually have a few good experiences I'll post about tonight. I just need to get my notes in order!

Later,

Don!


*** Drama Update ***

He did at least answer the post on the boards, here's a cut/paste:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

lol, this guy is funny. here's the situation. he wanted to buy 4x of all and send me an email about that, sure thats true. i anwered him :

"hello sure, not a problem. i will be on-line in about 10 hours, im in
school now. u must catch me on-line (bezelshop)

all x4 is 20 tickets

cya!"

now he is crying, couse he catched me on-line when all the set were sold, couse many people wanted to buy them and were on-line earlier. i did not told that guy, that the sets will be waiting for him forever. i sold over 145 common sets in few days and all my customers were satisfied.

case is over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I also spoke to him in game afterwards, let's just say that he's not a very friendly or conscientious person. I really do think you can get some good deals out there, but the lesson I learned here was that some of these folks just aren't nice people to deal with.

No comments: