Monday, April 21, 2008

Same old song and dance ...

Nothing really good or bad about the state of v3 over the weekend. It is what it is.

It appears that the general frustration level from the MTGO community is beginning to come down. Not that people are suddenly happy about v3, just that they're beginning to realize that nothing that's said is going to make the program any better right now. The first (of quite a few) patches is due this week -- and a SP1 is likely to be out in a couple of weeks.

The initial fixes are supposed to deal with the problems regarding chat fonts and 'escrow' problems in the client. I think what a lot of people want to see is an end to the 'docking' mechanism that has been universally panned since it was launched. For the life of me, I don't understand how that piece of programming was left in the release client -- it's awkward, not user-friendly and just a sharp jab in the eye visually. Not to mention that the icons for using the 'docking feature' aren't intuitive at all. My son asked what the 'pen tip' icon was, and I had to explain to him the concept of really old writing implements that had to be dipped in ink to function. I think that there could have been a much more descriptive icon for that -- but of course, if the dock goes away, I won't miss that icon's departure at all.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to for a couple of things to get cleared up before I dive into the MTGO pool again. The marketplace is still not very useful, with both the 'bots not being out in force yet -- plus the annoying 'pop to top' bug every time someone posts as new ad -- making it tough to see any of the items past the ones on your initial view screen.

Speaking of which -- has anyone seen a good article or post for teaching players how to navigate around in v3? I'm still having fun playing with the different colors in chat -- but that's a feature that's not highlighted in any official capacity, and I imagine there's a lot of other features in this client that I'm equally unaware of. If you know of a good resource for getting to know the new client, let me know and I'll link to it here.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read the blog -- hopefully we can get to the intended purpose of the blog soon. Things should begin settling down soon enough.

Later,

Don!

1 comment:

MiasmicAnomie said...

The thing about the release of the new version of any online game is that people will complain about it.

Not that there aren't problems with MTGO III. It's just that people who don't like something tend to get vocal, and people who do like it and/or are indifferent don't (in general).