Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Well, one month ago today -- The Thrifty Djinn was born. The actual blog you see here will hit its first month anniversary next Wednesday, but I've been at this a month now -- and I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

I'm still working on some rough edges, but overall the timing and spacing of the blog is right where I'd like it to be. I'm past the initial rough edges of building a new online collection, with 1,913 cards and a number of solid casual decks for just under $45. I feel like I could plunk another $15 into the kitty right now, but I also feel like I don't have to.

I have my three favorite tribal decks up and running in the casual room, so if you see me in there -- send me a message and I'll be more than happy to play a game or two. My Angel and Merfolk decks are particularly solid -- and the 5-color Dragon deck doesn't suck. Well, sometimes they all kind of suck -- but that's the way the game goes.

Okay, at this point -- I'm willing to play 'Choose Your Own Adventure' with the blog. Check out the poll to the right.

Do you want to see the next post be about specific decks? The official "Building on a Budget" decks cost 30 tickets. I think I can build a deck at least 90% as good for 1/6th the price -- 5 ticket decks that don't suck. Maybe I can get an official sponsor to actually sell the darn deck, but if not I'll at least point you in the right direction.

How about PDC coverage? I can put together a PDC deck and play in a few tourneys. In this case, I might suck though. But, I can always find folks (and decks) that don't suck -- and tell you about them!

Single card strategies? Cards you MUST have? Heck, I could extol the virtues of Terramorphic Expanse all day, but I do have a sweet spot for Steamflogger Boss too. And I'm sure there's a audience for finding out the more than 7 ways you can kill someone with a Mudhole.

Life in the Casual Room? You're going to be spending a lot of time there as a casual player in MTGO, and there's a lot of little tips and tricks you can use to make playing there a lot more fun. I can also tell you the three things you should NEVER put in your deck description, and the five best reasons for putting someone on your friends or block lists!

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking about for this blog on a Friday night -- let me know what you would want to see. As always, feel free to post here on the boards, drop me an e-mail at thrifty.djinn@gmail.com or just catch me in game!

Later,

Don!

4 comments:

ZerschlagenV1001 said...

Happy Birthday, Thrifty Djinn! :-)
I´m kinda enjoying this blog, so please keep up the good work. The poll you were talking about doesn't show in my browser. My computer's mistake or a general fault?

Anonymous said...

Hey don!

Firstly i'd like to thank you for the work you've done on here for those of us on a tight budget, the store review in particular was very interesting and good read.

Secondly I'd like to give you a starting point for your investigations into the world of PDC. At this point I don't know how much you already know about it, so i'll assume you don't know anything. There are a few sites dedicated to pauper magic but you won't find a better one than PDC Magic at www.pdcmagic.com. On there players are ranked and decks are listed/recorded etc and upcomming pauper events are advertised. PDC players tend to hang out in the '/join pdc' room online.

Well i hope this helps should you venture into the world of PDC. If you need any more info i'll be more than pleased to help out.

MTGO Username: andymc1

Good luck!

Andy

Don! said...

Hey ZerschlagenV1001 -- It's likely a browser issue, but it could be on my end. I'll double check the options in the coding (Google does the hard work, I just check the boxes ...).

But let me know if you don;t see it up later.

Andy -- Yep, pdcmagic.com is on the very short list of places to start. That and the MTGO Traders calendar of events. I just have to find a good time I can dedicate to playing in a tourney or two. But, based on the poll -- I better start looking!

Later,

Don!

Anonymous said...

Hey Don,

Awesome initiative you have here, even though I'm not really the target audience. I don't spend a fortune at the moment, because I play PDC only.

(Shameless self promotion coming up:) I am one of the PDCmagic.com regulars, writer of the "Monday Mulligan" column about Standard PDC and host of the MPDC player run event. I encourage everyone to try one of our events, which run almost everyday in different formats and for different timezones (EST, GMT). If you just want some information, go to the aformention www.pdcmagic.com or just PM me online. If you need some information or a nice playground for the Djinn, im always up for some talk when Im online.

Have fun!